Writers Workshop: Surviving and Thriving Beyond Trauma with Marie Parks Sumnicht
Julia Sumnicht was an ambitious 21-year- old junior at the University of Wisconsin La Crosse when her lofty dreams and life would end abruptly on March 15, 2010. Julia’s mysterious death during her spring break in Miami Beach, Florida, left unanswered questions and her family devastated.
The Sumnicht family would suffer further disappointment when the justice system crushed their hopes of bringing closure to Julia’s death.
In 2014, a nationally recognized investigator would confirm important information about Julia’s death but would leave further disillusionment.
Investigative findings would point circumstantial evidence to two suspects who were with Julia in her last hours. Faced with one challenge after another, Julia’s mother, Marie Sumnicht, would not be deterred in her search for resolution. A soul-searching journey would lead Marie through the depths of despair and toward a place of healing she never thought possible.
Beyond Broken Mission
• To empower bereaved parents and provide a roadmap of life truths.
• To guide families through sudden loss from senseless acts of injustice, and give them hope and peace.
• To passionately advocate date rape drug prevention and to provide steps for young people to avoid senseless deaths such as Julia’s.
Workshop discussion points:
1. When adversity or sudden tragedy occurs what happens to:
- Our emotions
- Our thoughts
- Physical response (PTSD, etc.)
2. Why is change hard? Why are so many of us “stuck”?
3. The Power of Intention
4. The Power of Mindset
5. The Power of Action
6. The Power of Gratitude
7. The Power of Exercise/Movement
8. The Power of Habit
9. Failing Forward
Registation is required to attend this workshop.